Memories Matter, Call Us Today! 



How Do I Know the Company I hired has proper authority / insurance?

Any reputable company will be happy to provide their DOT number and a copy of their insurance at request. A copy of Timi’s Tours can be viewed at the following links:    Authority    Insurance


What if the company says the do not need authority or refuses to provide evidence?

Smaller Vehicles, like our Executive Sprinter may not have Interstate Authority if they do not leave the State of Illinois. This is perfectly legal, however you may ask to see a copy of the vehicle registration or license plate. A Second Division (10+ Passengers) In Illinois engaged in for-hire services will have a PT or Public Transportation Plate. Anything other than this is not legal for operation. This includes Truck Weight (B,C,D,E,F,+) Plates. These vehicles are not legal for passenger transportation in Illinois. Vehicles under 10 passengers will have a Livery plate.

What about companies who say another company will actually provide the services?  

Be very careful with this, While the practice of “farming out” is common and safe, some companies especially those who advertise that their service is “nationwide” with no pictures of buses with their logo. These companies often do not own any coaches and you do not know what you are going to get. Check that the DOT number of the coach that arrives matches the DOT number of the chartering company. Timi’s Tours does on occasion “farm out”, but we will make you well aware before the coach arrives, and provide any relevant safety information necessary.


My Organization owns our own bus, but we don’t have authority, is this legal?

Please refer to the FMCSA, the governing body for surface transportation, has to say on this.

If your organization owns its own vehicle and a member of your organization is the driver for group outings, you are considered an Owner/Operator by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. You must, therefore, follow all Owner/Operator regulations and laws.

If your vehicle is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver), your driver must possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement.
Your organization must have a drug and alcohol testing program for its CDL drivers.
Your interstate drivers (generally drivers who cross State lines) are subject to qualification standards.
Your drivers are subject to limitations on the number of consecutive hours they can drive at a time.
Your buses must be systematically inspected, repaired, and maintained to be in safe and proper operating condition.

If you would like to discuss Timi’s Tours operating and maintaining your vehicles for you, please give us a call!


Look Before You Book